Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Shu Uemura Anti/Oxi Cleansing Oil Review


 My first Shu oil...and I'm hooked! I'm not turning back... My first ever cleansing oil experience was a sample from Josie Maran, which was interesting but didn't hook me. Then I was using Julep's cleansing oil (brief review in my recent empties post), which got me into using oil regularly to cleanse, but it didn't do anything extra for my skin.

Shu Uemura is kinda famous for their cleansing oils, so finally I decided I had to try. I actually bought three different ones and this "skin-refining anti-dullness" gets to be the first to be trialed. I have been using this almost daily to remove my makeup for the past 3 weeks.


As you can see from the ingredients, this is a mineral oil base (think baby oil, though this seems more highly refined). I find it very liquidy, much less viscous than the Josie Maran or Julep. It does an excellent job at breaking down my makeup and then when I add water to emulsify it, it turns milky white and then rinses away clean. Yes clean, no oily residue, just feels like my face is clean. I actually don't need to "double" cleanse with this at all.


 In comparison to Julep, this one rinses away cleaner and when water is added turns much more white.  I also like the pump better. It pumps out more at a time (sometimes a bit too much, and given it's so liquid-y it can spill out of my hand), and I just need 1-2 pumps depending on how much makeup I'm wearing. With Julep I had to pump 6-8 times to wash my face, ugh.


I actually do feel my skin looks brighter and less dull, and some days I only feel the need to use concealer here and there rather than covering my whole face in a base product. However I did also start using the Clarisonic recently (will do a separate post about that soon), and I'm not sure which one is making the difference or if it's the combo. Though who cares which one was the cause as long as my skin is better right?!
 
I can't wait to try the others, but will go one at a time (will empty this one first before going forward).

What do you think of Shu's oils? Do you have another oil cleanser you prefer?

12 comments:

  1. Shu cleansing oils are excellent. I've used quite a few different types of oil from Shu, and they tend to vary in consistency. Some are quite thick but more moisturizing. If you have a budget for Shu oil, I'd highly recommend Tatcha cleansing oil and enzyme powder. You can also use Clarisonic with cleansing oil. I do this once in a while to minimize the irritation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think to use the Clarisonic with the oil, good idea! Ah I forgot to buy Tatcha during the Sephora sale, I remember you writing about it before! Next wishlist...

      Delete
  2. Shu Uemura was my first cleansing oil. I had the pink one, Fresh. I found the texture to be really thick, and I suspected it broke me out. I didn't buy another bottle to try though. After that, I've been trying other cleansing oils and many work really well. I might go back to Shu just once, to see if it DOES break me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that's too bad it caused breakouts. If you try another consider this one cuz it's very thin consistency, but don't know if that indicates likelihood of causing breakouts or not...

      Delete
  3. Is this one quite thick? I think I have tried one of Shu Uemura's before and I find it quite thick to rub. I like the Josie Maran one and currently I'm using the Boscia cleansing oil. Boscia one is much thinner but both deliver similar results to my skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually super thin, almost watery even. Interesting others also are commenting about thick ones, guess they're each very different! I have a sample of the Boscia will try it soon!

      Delete
  4. I haven't tried a cleansing oil from them yet. >.> I'm kind of afraid to. I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take the plunge! Try the smaller bottle first like this one, then if it works out go for the larger bottle which is much more economical

      Delete
  5. It's high time I try one of their oils! They're soooo raved about :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol yes! Although so many other raved about oils too, sigh one at a time I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried a few different cleasing oils from Shu but not this one! I'm glad you're loving it. I used to be big on cleansing oils but right now I'm all about cleansing balm. I find the massaging step a bit more relaxing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I have heard of those but never tried before, next wishlist!

      Delete