Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Lash Enhancing Mascara – Ocean Blue Review


Elizabeth Arden is a brand that I would have not even considered buying prior to studying makeup. I used to think that it was for "older women" like my mom's age. However, once I found out about the legendary 8 hr cream in the MUA world, I've been exploring this brand more (or is it because I've become a mom...lol). I especially love their lipsticks (more in another post coming up soon...), and recently decided to try something different in their summer collection, a new BLUE mascara!  It's rare to see colored mascaras, and some I've tried in Sephora-land before were not that good (couldn't really see the color on my black lashes, or just bad formulas).  This one is not bad at all, click the jump to see the full review!






This blue mascara is limited edition part of the summer collection, called "Ocean Blue". The mascara line is permanent though, and is called "Beautiful Color Lash Enhancing Mascara". It normally comes in black or brown, and advertises to also make lashes more defined and curled with continued use on top of other things that mascaras do (in this case, it advertises both lengthening and volumizing effects).


The tube looks beautiful, with the" gold" look and all, but actually is made out of plastic. This makes feel somehow not as luxe for me. I'd rather have plastic look like plastic, and if it looks metal then I'm expecting to feel the weight of metal.



A close up without flash of the brush. I personally prefer those fat/fluffy brushes, but to each their own :)


A close up taken with flash, showing the blue color. There are also shimmer particles in the mascara which may not be evident in the photo but you definitely see it in person. 

As for effect on the lashes. The blue is evident even on my black lashes after 2-3 coats. So is the shimmer (subtle), which I don't care for too much but it is one of the very few shimmery mascaras I've seen.

As for its lengthening and volumizing claims, it's "not bad"... it certainly does a bit of lengthening and volumizing, but it's definitely not the best I've seen in either category. I can think of a couple Maybelline mascaras I've tried that work better than this.  I can't attest to any long-term effects yet as I've only used this for 2 weeks and every other day at that. 

Overall... I LOVE the blue. It makes the whites of my eyes look whiter, and goes great with any blue eyeliner I have (I have a few...I love blue eyeliner!). The mascara formula itself however, leaves me wanting for more. Like I said, it's not bad, so I don't regret the purchase, but I do wish it could be more volumizing and defining than it is at present. With that, I won't be buying the black or brown of this mascara, but will enjoy using up this blue one!

Do you use any colored mascaras? Let me know which one is your favorite I'd love to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment